Monday, December 13, 2010

Time traveling with Lily for a fraction of a second.

It still blows my mind to think of this. How photos capture light and freeze a visible moment in time... not only does it allow us to experience moments of the past, it also allows us to experience moments we never had as a continous present!

Like this picture here. I was there when I took that picture and yet I was unable to experience the fraction of a second of my daughter Lily's hair suspended so wonderfully in the air like this. At the time it was a fleeting moment where her hair was suddendly tossed by the wind while we were climbing on playground equipment. I wouldn't have noticed it with everything going on.

But here in this picture that snapshot of time is held indefinitely... that fleeting snippet of reality was captured and recorded by a light sensor on my phone and it allows me to experience that fraction of a second for the rest of my life. And that moment of the past is here for me to experience in a new way.

I think photos are a sort of time travel if you think about it.

Posted via email from Matthew Armstrong's Blog

No comments: