Monday, August 22, 2011

Finding Your Rhythm

In these pictures you see me jamming on my little pearl jazz drumset. I love creating funky, jazzy, creative beats and rhythms. Sometimes I will spend 15 minutes trying to find that rhythm I'm thinking in my head. Its interesting to think about how the rhythms I create begin and end with me... where I hit the drums and where I don't. The rhythm is me in a sense - an extension of me.

Finding your rhythm in life isn't about drums. I thinks its about learning the flow, feeling, and function of whatever you want to be succesful with.

Whether its art, work, chores, some challenge, or a hobby, you find yourself doing your best when you "find your rhythm". Its the sense of the  elements coming together and you get in the zone. When this happens there is a distinct quality to your effort that can be almost magical.

Like making beats on the drums, its in these moments where you are most connected to what you are doing. Its where what you "do" is more of an extension of your being, of who you are, than something separate from yourself.

Can you think about a time or a situation you found your rhythm? What were you doing?

Posted via email from Matthew Armstrong

No comments: